Brand Names Mixture
- After Calf Bolus (Sulfanilamide + Sulfathiazole + Urea)
- Pinkamin (Methyl Salicylate + O-Phenylphenol + Sodium Thiosulfate + Sulfanilamide + Sulfur + Zinc Oxide)
- Proud Flesh Dust (Boric Acid + Copper Sulfate + Sulfanilamide + Sulfathiazole + Tannic Acid)
- Scour Bolus Plus (Calcium Carbonate + Magnesium Oxide + Menadione (Menadione Sodium Bisulfite) + Neomycin (Neomycin Sulfate) + Potassium Acetate + Sodium Acetate + Sodium Chloride + Streptomycin (Streptomycin Sulfate) + Sulfamerazine + Sulfamethazine + Sulfanilamide + Sulfathiazole + Vitamin a + Vitamin D)
- Sulectim Plus Scour Boluses (Calcium Carbonate + Magnesium Oxide + Menadione Sodium Bisulfite + Neomycin (Neomycin Sulfate) + Potassium Acetate + Sodium Acetate + Sodium Chloride + Streptomycin (Streptomycin Sulfate) + Sulfamerazine + Sulfamethazine + Sulfanilamide + Sulfathiazole Sodium + Vitamin a + Vitamin D)
- Sulfa Urea Crm (Sulfanilamide + Sulfathiazole + Urea)
- Sulfa-Urea-Bolus (Sulfanilamide + Sulfathiazole + Urea)
- Triple Sulfa Bolus (Sulfamethazine + Sulfanilamide + Sulfathiazole)
- Triple Sulfa Bolus 240gr (Sulfamethazine + Sulfanilamide + Sulfathiazole)
No information avaliable
msds (material safety sheet)
Gelmo, J.Prakt. Chem 77, 369
Cream (15%); Liquid; Pellet; Tablet
For the treatment of vulvovaginitis caused by Candida albicans.
Sulfanilamide is a sulfonamide antibiotic. The sulfonamides are synthetic bacteriostatic antibiotics with a wide spectrum against most gram-positive and many gram-negative organisms. However, many strains of an individual species may be resistant. Sulfonamides inhibit multiplication of bacteria by acting as competitive inhibitors of p-aminobenzoic acid in the folic acid metabolism cycle. Bacterial sensitivity is the same for the various sulfonamides, and resistance to one sulfonamide indicates resistance to all. Most sulfonamides are readily absorbed orally. However, parenteral administration is difficult, since the soluble sulfonamide salts are highly alkaline and irritating to the tissues. The sulfonamides are widely distributed throughout all tissues. High levels are achieved in pleural, peritoneal, synovial, and ocular fluids. Although these drugs are no longer used to treat meningitis, CSF levels are high in meningeal infections. Their antibacterial action is inhibited by pus.
Sulfonamides are absorbed through the vaginal mucosa. There are no pharmacokinetic data available describing how much of an intravaginal dose reaches the systemic circulation.
side effects and Toxicity
Oral, mouse LD50 = 3700 mg/kg; Intravenous, mouse LD50 = 621 mg/kg; Oral, rabbit LD50 = 1300 mg/kg. Side effects include itching, burning, skin rash, redness, swelling, or other sign of irritation not present before use of this medicine and long-term use of sulfonamides may cause cancer of the thyroid gland.
Sulfonamides (sul-FON-a-mides), or sulfa medicines, are used to treat bacterial infections. They work by killing bacteria or preventing their growth.
Vaginal sulfonamides are used to treat bacterial infections. These medicines may also be used for other problems as determined by your doctor.
-Inform you doctor if you have ever had any unusual or allergic reaction to any of the sulfa medicines, furosemide (e.g., Lasix) or thiazide diuretics (water pills), oral antidiabetics (diabetes medicine you take by mouth), or glaucoma medicine you take by mouth (for example, acetazolamide [e.g., Diamox], dichlorphenamide [e.g., Daranide], or methazolamide [e.g., Neptazane]).
-Vaginal sulfonamides are absorbed through the vagina into the bloodstream and appear in the bloodstream of the fetus so if you are pragnent inform you doctor
-Vaginal sulfonamides are absorbed through the vagina into the bloodstream and pass into the breast milk. Use is not recommended in nursing mothers.
-Medicine is only for the use of adults not for children
-Inform your doctor if you have other medical problems.
Candida albicans and other yeasts